We’ll leave no stone unturned to protect Lagosians-Sanwo-Olu

L-R: Commissioner for Economic Planning & Budget, Mr. Ope George; Chairman, House Committee on Appropriation, Hon. Saad Olumoh; Deputy Governor, Lagos State, Dr. Obafemi Hamzat; Governor Babajide Sanwo-Olu; Majority Leader of the Lagos State House of Assembly, Hon. Noheem Adams and Attorney General/Commissioner for Justice, Mr. Lawal Pedro (SAN) during the signing of the Y2026 Appropriation bill into law at the Conference room of Lagos House, Alausa, Ikeja, on Monday, 19 January 2026.

…Government decision on Makoko based on collective interest – Governor

The Governor of Lagos State, Mr Babajide Sanwo-Olu, on Monday, assured residents of the State that his administration will leave no stone unturned in ensuring the safety of lives and property in the State.

Speaking at the signing of the 2026 Appropriation Bill at the Lagos House, Ikeja, Governor Sanwo-Olu expressed disappointment over the scooping of fuel at Apapa bridge earlier on Monday by some residents, describing the act as a suicide mission.

He commended the swift action of the Lagos State first responders as well as the Police, who cordoned off the area and took control of the situation before any disaster could occur, warning residents to desist from acts that could lead to calamities.

Governor Sanwo-Olu, who spoke frankly on indiscipline, especially indiscriminate dumping of refuse on road medians, said stiffer penalties would be served on defaulters this year.

He said: “We will improve the capacity of LAWMA and PSP in this year’s budget. We will ensure we increase the fleet of their compactor trucks and all the equipment that will be required to keep the city clean and safe.

We have given instructions to LAWMA not only to apprehend but also to see how we can charge people for environmental violations.”

Speaking on the demolition exercise in the Makoko area of Lagos State, Governor Sanwo-Olu insisted that evacuation notices were served over two years before the demolition to those within 150 to 250 metres of high-tension wires.

Governor Sanwo-Olu said the decision of the government was based on the collective interest of Lagos State and the residents and not for any ulterior motive.

He said: “People need to understand that it is a big city we are dealing with, and the emergency and safety of lives and properties are paramount that we need to prioritise. Of what interest would it be for the government to want to unduly demolish anybody’s property? What interest if it is not for the overall safety of the citizens we are talking about?

“A lot of the people have built shanties under the high-tension wire, and the regulation is that you need to clear between 150 and 250 metres away from the high-tension wire. We are not demolishing the whole of Makoko; we are clearing the shanties so they do not get to the Third Mainland Bridge and stay behind the high tension.

“We are aware that there are some local and international NGOs that want to profit from this. We are studying things, and we are going to show evidence. They have made so much money from international organisations and asked for so many grants and resources to go into those places. It is just for them to cover their own lies because they have not done what they said they were going to do. That is why they are all shouting and crying more than the bereaved.

“We have been on this for so many years, and we have evidence. The exercise was meant to be done in December 2024; we extended it all throughout 2025. So, we cannot be a lawless set of people. We cannot fold our arms and let calamity or disaster happen.”

Governor Sanwo-Olu also noted that as a compassionate government, affected residents would be given palliatives and relocation stipends as compensation.

He said, “I have instructed both local governments and the various ministries concerned to see how they also can give additional succour, palliatives and relocation stipends to some of the people just to show compassion. And to say, you have done wrong, but the government can still show compassion and be compassionate about it. It is to ensure that we all can live in a safe and secure environment.”

Related posts

LASG Trains 500 Youths in Vocational Skills to Drive Economic Empowerment

Lagos Gov. Sanwo-Olu congratulates Hamzat on emergence as APC governorship candidate

Gov. Sanwo-Olu lauds peaceful APC Presidential primaries in Lagos